Saturday 17 September 2011

Must... Write... Something...

It strikes me that if this is to evolve beyond a mildly condescending set of admonitory posts, I need to be writing on a wider spectrum of topics than names and being nice. Trouble is, I know intimately what writer's block means having been unable to write much at all for these past many years. It's not about not knowing what to say exactly, rather it's about having too much I want to say and when I start trying to put it down, it all tries to come out in a tangled blob and I end up fighting a desperate battle to ogranise it into something coherent - which is a futile effort, because it just isn't.

Today, for instance, while mulling over what to write I came up with titles like 'Hands off my Chips' (a discussion about the roles of giving and taking in our soeciety, using the metaphor of sharing a portion of chips), 'Sport for Everyone Else' (a homorous description of sitting in a restaurant surrounded by work colleagues mad on sport, when I am not), 'Pension Trouble' (an epistle explaining how difficult it is to do long-term financial planning in a political environment that demands short-term solutions) and 'Mad marsupials' (a commentary on some of the oddities of Australian wildlife).

The articles are all in my head. Every word. But they won't come out separately. They will insist on disgorging themselves into the same essay. So if it ever does get written, it will have to be called 'Hands off my Pension, you Sporty Wombat' and will probably end up being about long term plans for breeding racing wombats on a pension, while snaffling bar snacks to keep alive.

Better luck tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I am begging you to write "Hands of my Pension, you Sporty Wombat". Please.

    ReplyDelete